Friday, June 1, 2012

New Leather "Medical Bag"




I always wanted a vintage military medical bag, but in leather instead of canvas. I finally decided to give it a go. I tried a new process of obsessively counting the stitches to make sure both sides had equal stitch holes. I then made sure to punch them with a snazzy diamond stitching chisel.

Ain't as fancy as I like, but it's just for me. If i were to do this again, I would probably make the corners rounded. Other than that, it looks pretty darned nice. more pics after the jump.
Bag, opened.




Rather thin, but keeps me from overstuffing with crap.

The back, with a little of the strap. The strap is adjustable, but i made it for me, so it fits perfectly.


I made a pocket for an iPad or paperwork. The pocket ALSO has pockets which can hold various pens, sharp objects, and business card holders. Also notice the D loops on the strap; one is inside, and one is outside. I clip my keys to the loop on the left side of the bag, where i can clip something else to the other D loop when I am carrying the bag.



The bag already looks like it's been dragged through a briar patch, but the leather has a "special treatment" that takes on the abuse like a badge of honor. I can get rid of some of the scuffs with some heat or with some mink oil.