Monday, November 10, 2014

Candy Cane Flavored Soda: Is it as BAD as you think?

Hey, at least it's Pure Cane Sugar....
I am not much of a soda drinker. If I'm going to get bloated with empty calories, I'd rather get a buzz while I'm at it. However, while buying sodas for the family, I spotted this eyecatcher; Candy Cane flavored soda.

"Dear god, technology has gone too far", I thought. 

Of course, being one that is intrigued by abominations that should never see the light of day, I bought it. 

I showed the wife the package and she promptly began making puking noises; something that she does not do lightly. It seems she believes you should not drink your food.

However this  is ok?


I put the 12 pack in the fridge, figuring that I was going to be the only one drinking it. I did, however, wet a paper towel, wrap a soda can with it, and put it in the freezer for around 15 minutes; I was curious. Curious like how you wonder how a stun gun feels like. 

Tickly? Pinchy?
Eventually I decided to just stop the suspense and put some ice in a cup. It isn't the way I like to drink my sodas (when I drink them), but I may as well not complain of the color of the baton I am going to be beaten with.  

Please, officer. Can you just shoot me instead?

What does it matter? Whether I like it or not, I will be finishing the case all on my lonesome, anyway.

Anyhoo, I poured myself a nice glass of candy cane soda and gave it a taste.

How to explain it...

When my wife saw that I wasn't screaming of disgust, she insisted on having a taste--before I could describe what I was experiencing with my mouth.

I shrugged my shoulders and gave her the cup. She took a conservative swig and promptly grimaced and would have spit out the red soda if she didn't know that she'd have to clean it up.

She said that it tasted TOO MUCH like candy canes, and it was just plain weird to drink candy canes!

Yes. That is totally the weirdest thing a soda has ever tasted like...

So, what does it taste like?


Well, the closest approximation I could come up with is if you were chewing spearmint gum--like, a LOT of spearmint gum--then promptly drank a Big Red soda. I would say that the mint taste is not as strong as, say, sucking on an Altoid, but just smacks lightly of mint. 

Yum?
Would I recommend it? Sure. Why the hell not. What do I know what you'd like. It isn't a BAD taste, and if you can keep yourself of thinking of the sensation of swallowing a mouthful of drool after chewing up a bunch of candy canes and holding it in your mouth for 5 minutes, then I think you'll be fine.